Summer foods that cool our body
Summer of 2010 is just settling in. Yahooanswers are already getting clogged with questions on nose bleeding, sleeplessness & indigestion. Such questions get many sympathetic responses but very few address the root cause of the problem i.e. body heat. We need to eat differently in summer as compared to winter. In fact one needs to eat cooling foods in summer
Tell tale signs that your body is heating up is when you notice any of these symptoms:
- Nose bleed
- Dark yellow urine
- Mouth Ulcer
Let look at some healthy summer foods:
1) Vegetarian food is best to prevent your body from heating up. Especially avoid red meat. Even fish will generate more heat or pitta (as called in Ayurveda).
2) Eat food at room temperature. So called cool food like Ice-cream & cold water will also generate heat in your body. Refrigerated foods will initially cool our body but after 15 minutes of intake generate excess heat.
3) Fully ripe sweet fruits like mango, cherries, avocadoes & watermelon are good to cool your body. Avoid salty & fried food. A simple clue to eat fruits of the season.
4) Avoid carrots, beets & tomato. Instead of these feast on green leafy vegetables, cabbage, lettuce, cucumber, pumpkin & beans. Chinese have a very simple definition of yang ( heat inducing food). They say that vegetables that grow in sun are cooling & vegetables that grow without sun are heaty food.
5) Surprisingly, milk & white butter are considered good for clearing pitta/ reducing heat from the body.
As a very basic guideline let’s eat food stuff with lots of water in them. These food items help us to sweat which further cools our body.
Watch out for next article - “Summer food recipes”